Trinity United Methodist Church began as an outpost Sunday School of First Methodist Church. A small group of First Methodist members was inspired by their pastor, Rev. W.D. (Bill) Comperry, to establish this outpost in the fast-growing northwest section of the city of Murfreesboro, in the hopes that it would evolve into a full-fledged church.
On January 25, 1959, the first assembly met, totaling 53 from First Church and the community.
At the Annual Conference in June, 1959 a formal request to recognize Trinity was made. As a result, a part time minister, Rev. Joel Underwood, was assigned to Trinity, the balance of his time to be devoted to the Wesley Foundation at Middle Tennessee State College. Trinity officially became a church on September 13, 1959. One hundred thirteen were in attendance and 56 charter members were received on that day. Charter membership in the new church was closed on January 3, 1960 and certificates were presented to the 90 charter members.